Tuesday, April 21, 2009

jack of all trades


Jack of all trades, master of none, was often used to describe my paternal grandfather. What a crock. He was at different times in his life a chiropractor and a lawyer. He had many interests and passed his inquisitive nature on to his ancestors, which of course, is why I am reacting a tad sensitively to this, as I definitely am similar to him, even never having met him.

A more flattering term would be polymath, or generalist, to try and describe all of my diverse interests, which range from history (ancient, Greek, Roman and Egyptian and medieval England and France), art (all of the aforementioned periods plus modern and more), sewing, knitting, cooking (primarily Italian and Mediterranean savory dishes - I don't really bake) - the list goes on and on.

I'm not upset that I have a broad range of interests and tons of books to-be-read in a wide variety of genres and subjects. I'll never be bored. And I'm passing this tendency on to my daughter, I'm sure. My main challenge is that there just aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish all the things I am interested in, much less the mundane chores of bathing, eating, laundry, etc. I have about three or four interesting art projects in my head right now that I'm dying to get a start on, if I could only fit them in. So far the only thing I am able to squeeze in the time to do is this blog, which thankfully can address a wide range of topics to suit my polymath mood. I at least can apply some artistic discipline here. A post a day. If I ever get some free time for these other things, hopefully the blogging habit will be so ingrained, it won't suffer. Jack of all trades, master generalist!

0 comments:

Post a Comment