Monday, April 13, 2009

ten commandments

I was watching the glorious Charlton Heston/Yul Brynner Hollywood cheesefest The Ten Commandments the other night - my holiday tradition, along with the dyeing of eggs. We used to watch it almost every Easter when I was a kid. Not sure why the annual telecast was bumped forward one night, but nothing stays the same, does it? When I was ten I think I was overcome by Brynner's and Heston's hotness and decided that Easter to read The Bible. I made it all the way through the first three or four books and then got really bored with all the begats and the extremely misogynistic portrayal of women. So let it be written.

Watching the movie the other night I was struck by two things. First, the only thing missing were song and dance numbers. The whole movie is so saturated in color, at least in the Egyptian sequences, which are of course, the best part, and all the acting is so completely over-the-top that a break for a musical number with Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor wouldn't have seemed out of place. It's impossible not to smile when Nefretiri/Anne Baxter intones, "Moses, Moses, Moses!" Brynner, of course, steals the entire movie and when the camera fades out on him for the last time, all the fun is gone, despite the still-to-come big fifties state-of-the-art parting of the Red Sea special effect. Brynner is bigger-than-life as he is with all of his performances, but somehow in just the right way. The movie tries in vain to keep up with him. He made such an impact on me in this film that when I visited Egypt, no matter where we saw a statue or depiction of Ramses, I always pictured him.

The other thing that really struck me was a scene about halfway through the epic, where Moses has been cast out of Egypt and has settled down for a little domestic bliss with Sephora, played by Yvonne DeCarlo of Lily Munster fame. They are looking at Mt Sinai ("it's only a model!") and he asks the crucial question:

Moses: Does your god live on this mountain?
Sephora: Sinai is His high place, His temple.
Moses: If this god is God, he would live on every mountain, in every valley. He would not be the god of Ishmael or Israel alone, but of all men. It is said he created all men in his image. He would dwell in every heart, every mind, every soul.
Sephora: I do not know about such things, but I know that the mountain trembles when God is there, and the earth trembles, and the clouds are red with fire.


O.K., game over. You lost me. Moses/Heston asked a completely profound question, one that I ponder frequently, and was blown off by an "I drank the Kool-aid" speech of "I don't know, I just believe." Cue the music and bring in the Busby Berkeley dancers.

I know that I have to view the film in the context of when it was made, but I think it's interesting that a movie that is shown every year, possibly watched by some for its religious content, would have such a nugget of a philosophical question embedded, however deeply, under all the other layers of schmaltz, pageantry, melodrama and Technicolor.

This exact question posed by Heston's character is what gets to the heart of my problems with organized religion. Why every sect thinks theirs is the only "right" way is just darn crazy to me. Anyone who has done just the tiniest bit of reading of other cultures' creation and other mythologies has to realize that all humans tell the same stories. Each sect might give the heroes and heroines different names and back stories, but the essential lessons are the same. So what is the problem? Why can't we get past this "my way or the highway" attitude about religion? So let it be done.

5 comments:

atthebench said...

I was watching this movie on Saturday night too! Nothing says "resurrection of our lord" like Chuck Heston in a Santa Beard ;) I love the scene of the first Passover with Chuck munching on matzoh and hummus when the little kid asks "why is this night different from all other nights?". And Edward G. Robinson is fabulous! So glad that he and Chuck got to team up again for Soylent Green

xoxoxo said...

I know, about halfway through it just becomes a festival of his ever-changing hairdos. "What happened to his beard, his hair?" "Oh, Moses must be talking to God again..."

My other two favorite Chuck movies from when I was a kid were of course "You damn dirty ape!" and The Omega Man where he's the last man on Earth fighting zombie/vampires. Whoo hoo!

JJM said...

Saw this film first time at a drive-in when I was a kid, maybe eight or nine at most. That green vapour spreading down towards Memphis (I'm assuming it was Memphis) looking more and more claw-like was about the scariest thing I ever saw. And it holds up exceedingly well, I think. And I'm a sucker for the "So let it be written, so let it be done" line. For all its flaws, I still have a soft spot in my heart for this film.

Good essay, EP.

UDCMRK said...

"Where's your Moses now?" as Billy Crystal would say!

"Ten Commandments" was a regular Easter treat for me too. My mother always told the story of going to see it in the theaters in Miami Beach when she was a 20 something. My most vivid memory of it: 11 or 12, watching it on a little 10 inch BW TV in my room with bad, fuzzy reception (our regular set was out of service and I had to pull in a channel w/out our usual cable) with a little tray of snacks my mother made (she was off to work and I was alone), I had avocados, 1,000 Island dressing, some sweet gherkins, salami, cheese).

Best movie ever!

xoxoxo said...

Blessed are the cheesemakers! (Life of Brian)

I will probably never buy this movie, because half the fun is watching it every year on TV and seeing if I can make it to Charlie's last beard. Sort of like how great I felt when my dad said we could stay up and watch it - on a school night!

Martin, I'm sure you have a great anecdotal childhood book in you - how about it? - unless you're already in the final draft stage and shopping it around to publishers!

Post a Comment