Thursday, January 14, 2010

hulu hula

I've been very happily Lost the past few weeks. How did I miss this show? Oh right, I have a five year old and it's been on for five years...

Anyway, it's never too late to join the party, luckily, especially with hulu and my fabulous MacBook Pro screen. So these days after the kid is tucked in bed I have been tucking myself in and settling back into an episode or two on my laptop. I'm halfway through season two at the moment.


I love television, always have, and enjoy shows in many different genres, but my favorites are usually found in mystery, fantasy or British categories (Buffy, Angel, Poirot, The Avengers, Farscape, Are You Being Served?, The Night Stalker, Lovejoythe list goes on and on). I wouldn't say that Lost is the greatest show I've ever seen, mostly because I shy away from superlatives, but it is damn good, as Sawyer might say. It manages to blend fantasy, mystery, romance, even a reality/Survivor feeling with excellent characterization. Most of the actors are top notch. Even with its intricate plotting the show, although full of quick-moving action, isn't afraid to let the characters take time to interact, both on the island and in glimpses of their past. Some might find it slow, but I love it.


Lost manages to tap into our deepest fantasies and fears. Who hasn't had a deserted island fantasy? What if you could start fresh, where nobody knew your baggage—is that even possible, or does it follow you to paradise? What could be scarier than a plane crash? Or your child being kidnapped? Or not being sure you can trust those around you? Or will you will be able to survive in a very unpredictable wilderness? What does it take to bring out your very worst or your very best? How interconnected are we all really, if we bothered to find out? But you get the idea. So excuse me. I've got some more episodes to catch up with . . .

2 comments:

jane said...

I'm glad you are enjoying it. Season two is one of my favorites although each season has it's own special quality and the characters just get more interesting and just when it seems to all be coming together something new gets thrown in. Most shows fall apart once things are explained but Lost somehow keeps it together. I'm starting to re-watch Season 4 because I need to watch Season 5 to be ready to watch the final season. Although I'll probably end up watching Season 6 on DVD like all the others. Something about a toddler is not conducive to catching a show every week. Anyway I'm not going to rush through Season 5. I think it was Season 3 where I rushed to the end and kind of regretted it. I think it was Season 3. Hmm, It was the season where the ending sent chills down my spine. Either Season 3 or 4. Something to look forward to!

Oh and I'm not an expert on all of the Easter eggs that are buried in the show but check out the books that Sawyer reads. There are some pretty clever references.

xoxoxo said...

I've been so caught in the human/moral aspects I haven't been catching details like that - thanks for the tip!. The only book so far that I noticed Sawyer reading was Watership Down, which was appropriate - will have to keep an eye out for those! I think this is definitely a show you can re-watch, as one "mystery" unravels, a new one replaces it and each character, once you think you know what they're about, another little twist is added. Sort of like all of us, really. Plus, times have been tough lately, so escaping to this island, getting lost in someone else's problems - definitely a huge appeal of the show (and any escapist entertainment, really)

Post a Comment