Monday, January 25, 2010

lostapalooza

Well, I finally made it through all five seasons of Lost on hulu.

Whew! I have lots of theories swimming through my head. And lots of impressions. But I'm ready for the final season next week, although I'm already feeling a little sad about not having another episode to queue up for viewing tonight. I will have to just see them on a weekly basis like the rest of the world from now on.

If you've never checked out Lost and always wanted to see a mysterious island/science fiction/action-adventure/time-traveling/conspiracy-theory/soap opera before, then it's not too late to try and catch up. Don't continue to read below if you're allergic to hints, my theories, or spoilers.


Impressions/favorite moments
  • My heart belongs to Sawyer, but Sayid is smokin' hot.
  • The smoke monster stopped in its tracks by Mr. Eko. I really miss Mr. Eko.
  • There is something just wonderful about Desmond and Penny. See you in another life, brother.
  • Why is Jack so annoying (or is that only me)?
  • Guns are bad (and everyone on the island is way too trigger-happy).
  • You All Everbody is damn catchy.
  • All the supporting characters are wonderful, but personal faves are Richard, Christian (I like him so much more than his hero son!), Rose & Bernard, Professor Arzt.
  • Hurley is just the best (Libby :sigh:)
  • Did anyone else love the season three "filler" episode Expose as much as I did? It was a great parody/alternate Jack/Kate story.
  • Locke may have been pathetic more times than not, but Jack telling him so in L.A. dropped him even more in my estimation, if that's possible. And disappointment to Richard, Ben, et al or no, the fact that the island healed Locke was significant. He was special.
Themes
  • Secrets and lies.
  • Good vs. evil.
  • Faith vs. coincidence Eko: Don't mistake coincidence for fate.
  • Daddy issues (Kate murdered hers, Jack and Jin are ashamed of theirs, Sawyer watched his kill himself, Sun & Locke have domineering and deceitful crooks of fathers, Lousy Father of the Year Award tie: Widmore & Ben - I could go on and on).
  • We're all connected.
  • What it means to be a parent.
  • Power struggles. Don't tell me what I can't do.

Theories:
  • The island attracts killers, or, if you haven't killed before, you will at some point after you arrive.
  • Jacob and his nemesis (brother?) may tie into the Egyptian symbology of Osiris and Set, Biblical Jacob & Esau, be inspired by the computer game Myst and its battling brothers on a mystical island, or all of the above.
Questions:
  • Why does no one share information (about mysterious polar bears or smoke monster sightings, metal hatches in the jungle, etc.)?
  • Was Rousseau "crazy" or was what she called a virus just the wrong name for what "infected" her crew (the Monster, or maybe Jacob's nemesis)?
  • Where did the Dharma supplies come from that the beach camp so eagerly grabbed and set up as their new pantry - the past, present or future?
  • What was the Dharma Initiative up to? For all the hippy tree-hugging, they seemed pretty evil.
  • "Ghosts" of Walt, Locke, Claire, Alex, and others who appear when they might not really be there. On the island are they the smoke monster in disguise or something, someone else? Back in the "real world" real ghosts appear to be visiting Hurley.
There's tons more, but that's enough for now. Any favorite theories you might like to share? I actually don't care if "all" the secrets are revealed in this final season or if some plot threads are left dangling. I think life, and art, needs a little mystery.

See ya on the island . . .

2 comments:

jane said...

Hi! Well just too much to discuss here. I'm still trying to re-watch Season 4 before diving into my DVDs of Season 5. I have been watching this show almost since it started. I had to catch up on Season 1 on DVD because I would always be at work too late. Basically, I have always ended up watching it on DVD for some reason or another. Oh yes, I was pregnant and then had a baby.

Anyway, I have become very attached to this show and the characters. It has constantly surprised me and when I thought it couldn't get better it has. It has managed to reveal information and remain mysterious. It has an incredible cast of characters and has bothered to tell everyone's story not just the pretty ones. The show has made me hate character's then love them and vice versa. Some like Rose and Eko I just love.

It's funny I've always watched the show in spurts over the last six years. I can't imagine how you managed to get through it so quickly but then again I know how addicting it is and how I often have watched three episodes in a row. I really can't imagine how it will end or worse that there will be no more episodes after this season. After all we were cheated a bit with the abbreviated Season 4 due to the writer's strike. I will be sad to lose Lost but I'm happy they are stopping while the show is still good.

I'll probably see Season 6 on DVD so no need to cry yet. Oh and yes Jack is very annoying and in so many ways. I have always liked Sawyer better and Locke for that matter. Who knows Season 5 waits and could change my mind on everything.

xoxoxo said...

I don't think I've been into/thought about a TV show as much since my Angel/Buffy days.

I did kind of marathon it, watching 2 eps a night before bedtime. While I was home with the sick little one I was able to watch some during the day too while she napped, and over the long holiday weekend. I feel like I kind of rushed a bit, but I'm glad I got "the story so far' or I would have gone into Season 6 very confused. I will probably re-watch some of my more favorite eps again. I am really loving hulu. Of course I'm reading less at night and watching TV more, but c'est la vie. I think I "read" so much at work that my tv-watching after I tuck in the little one is definitely my way of winding down. And looking at gorgeous Hawaii scenery hasn't hurt!

You're absolutely right about the show telling everyone's story, not just the main cast. That is probably my most favorite aspect. Like the Nikki/Paolo backstory and Miles being the baby of the video dude, etc. I hope there's more detail about Jacob. I feel a bit cheated, as if we just met...

It's a great show.

I'm going to try to watch at least the first episode on 2/2, but the show can be so violent that I don't think I can watch it first-run either (It's on at 8pm?) I let the kid watch a lot of the stuff that I watch, even if she can't always immediately grasp all the dialog, but that's mostly old movies. This has too many guns for an almost six year old (and sometimes for me, too.)

Post a Comment