Friday, February 26, 2010

the sexism of solitaire?

I first learned how to play solitaire by watching my Grandmother play at her dining room table. After she had made us a delicious lunch and we had eaten, and she had cleared the table and done the dishes, she would carefully, deliberately, lay out all the cards. She played a game she called Patience, reminding me that it took patience to play. She taught me two variations, "regular solitaire" and "with the whole deck," which, thanks to computer solitaire, I have since learned are called Klondike and Yukon. Somewhere along the line we picked up a foam solitaire lap stand, where you could deal the cards into the ridges in the foam, so that they would stand up, facing you. We never used it much.

Long after Grandma died and computers entered my life I downloaded the inevitable solitaire games to play. And I now even have some for my iPhone. I have since come to like the games Forty Thieves and Baker's Game, as they are more challenging, at least for me, but it's hard to beat Klondike or Yukon—they still get played the most.

Until I started playing solitaire on my iPhone I never wondered if it could also be sexist. In most games it doesn't matter how many rows you free up. If you can't find a King to start a new stack, you're out of luck. After a while just the sight of a Queen turned over from the stockpile is a letdown. Aces may start the four foundations piles in most games, but finding an ace can seem lucky, random. A King is a real find. Somehow seeing the little available squares on the touchscreen made this more apparent.

According to Wikipedia, Kings high may not always have been the case once the court cards were introduced:

In early games the kings were always the highest card in their suit. However, as early as the late 14th century special significance began to be placed on the nominally lowest card, now called the Ace, so that it sometimes became the highest card and the Two, or Deuce, the lowest. This concept may have been hastened in the late 18th century by the French Revolution, where games began being played "ace high" as a symbol of lower classes rising in power above the royalty.[citation needed] The term "Ace" itself comes from a dicing term in Anglo-Norman language, which is itself derived from the Latin as (the smallest unit of coinage). Another dicing term, trey (3), sometimes shows up in playing card games.

So maybe I'm just thinking too much. But every once in a while it's fun and illuminating to stop and think about even the littlest things. Like why can't I put that Jack in that empty space? Sheesh!

4 comments:

Deanna Dahlsad said...

Awesome, not only do I like to ponder such things, but I too learned to play the game with my grandma. She used to make each stack really neat before she'd begin -- and now I find myself doing it to honor her whenever I play too :)

xoxoxo said...

That's the major drawback to playing online solitaire - no actual cards to shuffle and stack. Did your grandma clean her cards? Mine did - probably after we had peanut butter and jelly for lunch...

jane said...

I learned to play from my father although I have forgotten how. I'll need to brush up so I can teach my own little one. It's sad that people don't seem to play card games together (or in the case of solitaire alone) as much today. Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed a much more common activity when I was growing up. I remember playing Gin Rummy when we would visit my Grandmother and also that my uncle had a regular card game with friends. I'm pretty sure that was poker!

xoxoxo said...

Card (and other) games are so social. Too much social interaction via the computer these days, I'm afraid. When I was in elementary school we used to love to play Spit and War on rainy days. As we got older we played rummy. When my brother and I were teenagers my Grandmother sent us her old cribbage set. My dad helped us figure out how to play it and we were crazy for that for a while. My grandmother used to play bridge with her friends and I always thought that might be cool, but I never learned. Somehow that seems a more sophisticated time, although I'm sure you're right about the poker and I'm sure Grandma did some (ladylike) gambling with her bridge friends, too.

Post a Comment