Thursday, April 15, 2010

girl power?



I don't want to squash a young artist, but every time I hear this song by Orianthi on the radio I am befuddled. It at first sounds like it's supposed to be rock 'n' roll girl power, but the message, the message . . .

She may sound  strong and angry, but she is trading one guy's (admittedly negative) opinion about her:
According to you
I'm stupid
I'm useless
I can't do anything right
For another guy's (more positive) one:
But according to him
I'm beautiful, incredible
He can't get me out of his head
According to him
I'm funny, irresistible
Everything he ever wanted
How is that girl power? Or rebellious? It sure ain't feminist. Why is she defining herself by what some guy thinks about her?
Everything is opposite
I don't feel like stopping it
So baby tell me what I got to lose
He's into me for everything I'm not
According to you
Please continue to strap on the guitar and cry out to the wilderness. It's a good impulse.

I need to feel appreciated
like I'm not hated
Oh, no
Why can't you see me through his eyes?
It's too bad you're making me dizz-ay


But throw away the need to define yourself through other's eyes. Kick ass. Be yourself.

Now that's rock 'n' roll.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comments:

lacochran said...

You raise a good point.

I hate the song because it starts with all these horrible messages. I don't stick around for the "so, nyeah" part.

Post a Comment