Friday, April 30, 2010

stage fright

Yesterday was the kindergarten school play. I was more worried about it than excited, as the kid has exhibited extreme stage fright in the past. I wouldn't say I had low expectations—honestly if she decided to sit it out it would have been O.K. by me, but I didn't want to entertain any expectations. I just wanted her to know that I was there, and I love her, and she needn't be afraid.

It turns out any fears that I may have been harboring evaporated, as the kid said all her lines on cue, had a great time on stage, and a great time offstage watching her friends do their plays. She'll never know how proud (and relieved) she made me when her jitters earlier in the week turned out to be for naught.

Complete non-sequiter: Hitchcock's walk-on in Stage Fright. I love Hitch.


<

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

jane said...

Congratulations to you and the kid! I have to say I dread those kind of milestones. Maybe because I was a shy kid, I worry too much about my own little one having to take on the activities that were so anxiety provoking for me. Luckily so far she seems much braver than mom.

xoxoxo said...

I may be in this same place again, but at least I now know she can enjoy herself, and it just depends on the situation, rather than her being afraid of ever being in the spotlight. Of course now I wonder, if "a ham is born." Always something! It's a 50-50 thing. Our little gals are bringing us up as much as we are bringing them up!

Post a Comment