Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11

World Trade Center, photograph by Elizabeth Periale

World Trade Center, photograph by Elizabeth Periale, c. 1990
When I lived in New York one of my most favorite places to go was the World Trade Center.

I always thought it was the most beautiful, graceful building(s). I loved looking up at it from the ground, sitting at its base to eat my lunch, shopping in its underground mall.

But the twin towers are also where I'd head when I felt overcome by the sheer New York-ness of New York or when my twenty- and thirty-something life became a bit overwhelming.

There was nothing more calming than looking out over New York and New Jersey from its dizzying heights. Talk about perspective. I will always and forever miss this building.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment