Friday, January 30, 2015

favorite song friday: style

The kid loves Taylor Swift, and as pop princesses go, she is definitely one of the best. Her latest album 89 has been topping the charts for weeks, the only grumbles coming from her recently being declared New York's global welcome ambassador. This last complaint coming from long-time New Yorkers, who despair at how New York has changed in recent years to a playground for the rich. Swift is hardly responsible for that, as New York and much of the rest of the country has been enamored of and catering to big bucks for more than just the last few years.

89 has also been declared her first pure pop album, but that seems wildly inaccurate, too. Swift's songs have had a pop sensibility for quite a while, just as 89's songs still show traces of her country roots. The first two songs released off the album, "Shake It Off" and "Blank Space" became instant hits. The latest offering, "Style," may be a little slower in its take-off, but it is the first one that seems to me from a more mature sensibility to me. Maybe that's why my almost 11 year-old hasn't taken to it as quickly as the other two songs.



So it goes
He can't keep his wild eyes on the road
Takes me home
Lights are off, he's taking off his coat
I say, "I heard, oh, that you've been out and about with some other girl, some other girl." 
He says, "What you've heard is true but I
Can't stop thinking about you," and I...
I said, "I've been there too a few times." 
'Cause you got that James Dean daydream look in your eye
And I got that red lip classic thing that you like
And when we go crashing down, we come back every time
'Cause we never go out of style
We never go out of style



Taylor's confessional tone is still engaging, and keeps her fans and critics guessing - exactly who is this song about, anyway? She gets far more flack for writing about her past and present loves than the equally anecdotal Ed Sheeran. Sexism is alive and well, as always. But mostly "Style" is a great song.

0 comments:

Post a Comment